What is your education and training?
- Master of Science degree in Health and Nutrition Education from Hawthorn University
- Trained as a Hormone Cure Coach by Dr. Sara Gottfried of The Hormone Cure
- Professional Member and Board Certified in Holistic Nutrition® with the National Association of Nutrition Professionals (NANP)
- Member and Certified Nutrition Consultant (CNC) with the American Association of Nutritional Consultants (AANC)
What is your approach to nutrition and health?
Although my approach with each client varies, there are some general principles I value in my practice as a holistic health coach and certified nutrition consultant that will help you decide if we are a good fit…
- Personalized solution that works for you because one size does not fit all.
- Nutrient dense foods—when we eat mostly high-quality, nourishing foods, we find that a little goes a long way and we feel fabulous!
- Compassionate guidance and careful listening so that together we can create a plan, protocol, and personal approach that works for you.
- My food philosophy: If I were to capture my food philosophy in just seven words, I would borrow Michael Pollan’s great quote: “Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants.”
- It’s all about balance! Balanced blood sugar maintains your energy and mood levels, releases you from cravings, and is at the heart of wellness and longevity. Balanced hormones allow you to feel greater vitality, improve your ability to more easily cope with life’s challenges, release weight, and feel like you best self again. And balance in your life creates the space for prioritizing your health, valuing the importance of self-care, and bringing that excitement back to all parts of your life—work, family, relationships, children, etc.
- Gut health and healing is sometimes an underlying cause of other health issues and concerns. When your digestive tract is healthy, you will notice other improvements like clearer skin, better mood, greater focus, weight loss, reduced inflammation, and less pain. It often all comes down to the gut!
- Quality and strategic supplementation, when necessary, as part of larger vision of healing and wellness. I believe in the power of food to heal. However, sometimes strategic supplementation can assist your body in that process. I will always check with you before offering a supplement suggestion and you will always know exactly why you are taking something. I can also provide options and suggestion so that you know the products you are taking are of high quality and value.
- Science-based approach to nutrition while valuing the importance of the mind-body-spirit connection to health and well-being.
- Practical and realistic approach to making healthy changes. Whether that is through guidance in planning and preparing meals, grocery shopping, or making sense of eating out—I will meet you where you are in the process!
- I love food! I mean I really, really love food. It is one of the great pleasures in life. I want you to love food (again) too! I will encourage you to let go of guilt and fear around eating and instead enjoy every bite of your meals.
How do you empower clients to feel their best?
As a holistic health coach and certified nutrition consultant, my role is to guide you in your journey toward greater wellness, energy and vibrancy. My holistic approach means we will look at all aspects of your health—body, mind and spirit.
Together, we will look at your sense of well-being from many dimensions including physical, emotional, spiritual, occupational, social, and intellectual health. Each part contributes to the health of the whole. To help you feel better, we may look at your patterns of sleep, ways to manage stress, nutrition goals, exercise, relationships, your sense of connection, and even your environment.
I specialize in empowering people to create and maintain a healthy lifestyle supported by good nutrition, stress management, movement, and healthy relationships. For many people, creating more balance in their lives is what they are seeking–whether that is in their food, relationships, or work life. As a trained Hormone Cure Coach, another way I can support you is by creating greater hormonal balance through holistic protocols created by Dr. Sara Gottfried in The Hormone Cure.
I also specialize in plant-based eating plans. If it is your goal, I will use my expertise in vegetarian and vegan eating plans to assist you and your family in creating healthy, nourishing meals, whether that means you want to eat less meat, eat some fish, are lacto-ovo vegetarian (meaning you eat eggs and dairy) or are vegan (no animal foods).
My own recent personal struggle with health has taught me so much. I know what it means to be scared or confused or frustrated. I also know how much I wanted someone by my side to guide me. That is what I want to be able to do for you. I want to be that support so that you can easily manage your life and your health. And I will do so with great compassion and understanding.
I work with clients both locally and across the country via Skype or phone. Please contact me today to start your journey to better health.
What led you on this path?
In October of 2010, I came down with a cough suddenly and fiercely. I then spent the next six months feeling very sick—persistent cough and breathing troubles, sinus infections, exhaustion, laryngitis—and seeking a variety of treatments. It was a very difficult six months for me. Not only was I not feeling well physically, I was confused and scared about the best way to get better. I felt overwhelmed by all the information available to me, much of it contradictory.
I finally found a holistic health specialist and I started to feel better. I discovered underlying health and diet causes and addressed those rather than just masking the symptoms. Through this process of healing my body, I realized how important it was to have someone to guide me in making the changes I needed to implement. This is what I want to do for you!
My pain, my suffering, my confusion at being sick so long is one of the greatest challenges of my life. It affected me not only physically, but also socially, emotionally and spiritually. I felt cut off socially from friends and family for a while; I felt exhausted and overwhelmed at trying to figure out the best direction to go; I felt spiritually challenged to be present with such suffering. However, rising as the Phoenix on the other side of this illness, I now feel literally reborn and I am empowered around my own health.
This difficult journey, of course, has many blessings. I feel better than ever before with more energy and vibrancy. I also lost about 25 pounds and gained greater strength and fitness. I also discovered the new direction I wanted to take my life to guide others who are struggling with their health. I want my clients to feel stronger and healthier, and know that they are in charge of their own body and well-being.
I believe in taking an integrative approach to health, one that looks at diet as well as lifestyle, offers emotional support along with supplements, and values spiritual growth and development as much as physical. I support my clients when they are scared and confused at facing a new diagnosis, who have been told they need to make lifestyle changes and do not know where to start, or who want to make some changes to their life and need a clear plan from a holistic health expert. Contact me today and we can start together.
What do you do when you are not working as a health coach and nutrition consultant?
I love to eat delicious food, connect with friends, taste wine, spend time in nature, practice yoga and dance, and travel. As a former English major and high school teacher, I also have a passion for reading great books. I am an auntie to my two adorable nephews, my beautiful godchildren, and the other amazing children in my life. Fun foodie fact: I had the pleasure of being on a local television show “Check Please Bay Area” to review one of my favorite restaurants (you can read more about my experience here). I live in Oakland, California with my loving husband.