I’m very excited to start this Herb Series on various culinary herbs. Each post will highlight a particular herb and easy ways to incorporate it into your daily eating.
Herbs are such a nutritious and delicious way to upgrade your nutrition!
So let’s start with a favorite: BASIL!
Fun fact! There are more than 60 varieties of basil besides the sweet basil we are most familiar, including lemon basil, Thai basil, cinnamon basil and holy basil.
- good source of flavonoids, particularly those found to protect cell structures and chromosomes from radiation and oxidation
- antibiotic and anti-inflammatory properties
- effective in restricting growth of certain bacteria namely e coli and staphylococcus aureus
- good source of vitamins K, A, calcium and potassium and beta-carotene
BASIL in cooking and recipes
- Pesto with garlic, olive oil and a nut (walnuts, pine nuts, pistachios)
- Add to fruit and fruit smoothies for a refreshing twist. Especially delicious with watermelon and other melons!
- Add to water with slices of citrus for a pretty and tasty treat
- Caprese salad of mozzarella, tomatoes and basil
- Add to the top of stir fry, pasta dishes or soups for a fresh taste and added flavor
Tip: Store basil in the refrigerator wrapped in a paper towel in a plastic bag. Can also be frozen. Even better idea is to buy a basil plant! Very easy to grow!
Want some basil inspiration? Check out this Huffington Post article with over 34 ways to use basil in a recipe! Yum!
What’s your favorite way to use basil?