Total Time: 20 min
Serving size: 1/2 cup
Makes approximately 7 servings
Note: Use raw, organic ingredients whenever possible.
These measurements are flexible; don’t worry too much about being exact.
- 1 1/2 cups raw, whole rolled oats (aka old fashion oats)
- ½ cup hemp seeds
- ½ cup raw nuts, chopped (like pecans, almonds, walnuts, Brazil nuts, etc.)
- ½ cup raw seeds (sunflower, pumpkin, chia, etc.)
- ½ cup dried coconut flakes
- 1-2 tablespoons grade-B maple syrup or raw honey or a combo of both (optional)
- 2 tbsp virgin coconut oil
- ½ tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- ½ tsp nutmeg (optional)
- 1 large pinch sea salt
Preheat the oven to 300º F.
- Add coconut oil, vanilla, cinnamon, nutmeg, salt and optional maple syrup and/or honey to large bowl and mix together until ingredients are mixed together and oil is liquid. You can also warm the coconut oil and optional honey first so that they are both liquid before adding.
- Add oats, nuts, seeds and coconut to bowl.
- Use your clean hands to mix well and toss to coat; it will be sticky and messy but that’s the fun part.
- Spread the mixture in a thin layer on a baking sheet(s) and bake for 9-10 minutes, until very lightly toasted. Do not over-bake. I line the cookie sheets with parchment paper for easier clean up.
- Cool before serving or storing.
- This granola can be kept in an airtight container in a cool, dry place for up to 2 weeks.
Note: This is the lower sugar version; if you choose to make it without any maple syrup or honey, there will be a discernible difference. You can add fresh fruit to your morning cereal and “sweeten” it naturally instead!
Tips: Add 1/2 granola to unsweetened yogurt and 1/2 cup berries for a great breakfast or snack. Also delicious with unsweetened almond milk!
Recipe adapted from http://www.elizabethrider.com/easy-healthy-homemade-granola-recipe