10 Helpful Strategies for Weight Loss or Weight Management
Whether you want to maintain your current weight or feel the need to lose a few pounds after the holidays, the key is losing weight slowly and mindfully. We know diets don’t work and counting or cutting calories doesn’t work for most people over the long-term. Of course it is also important to look at weight loss from a holistic perspective, where you address healthy changes that support your body, mind and spirit.
1. Get plenty of sleep.
2. Always eat breakfast and never skip meals.
3. Eat every three and a half to four hours to keep blood sugar, cortisol and appetite under control.
4. Eat within an hour of waking and stop eating at least three hours before bedtime.
5. Treat yourself one meal a week—eat anything you want for that one meal and really enjoy yourself without the guilt.
6. Eat slowly and mindfully. Enjoy your food and chew it well.
7. Drink more water. Basic rule of thumb is half your body weight in ounces. So if you weigh 160 pounds, you should drink 80 ounces of water. Herbal teas count as well!
8. Eat off smaller plates and measure your portions if you find that helpful. When in doubt, always make at least half your plate non-starchy vegetables.
9. Move your body a little bit everyday. Take a walk, play with your kids, do 10 minutes of yoga, have a dance party in your living room, take the stairs, park a little farther away.
10. Find ways to manage your stress like yoga, meditation, mindfulness, or journaling.
Which one of these suggestions could you start today? Which ones have you tried and had success doing? What other suggestions to do you have? I want to hear from you!