By Rebecca Katz. Recipe from One Bite at a Time.
1-2 cans of cannellini or great Northern white beans
2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 3/4 cups finely chopped yellow onion
1 /4 teaspoon sea salt
1 ½ cups peeled and diced carrots
1 ½ cups peeled and diced celery
1 tablespoon diced shallot
2-4 tablespoons finely chopped garlic
1/4 teaspoon fresh thyme, or 1/8 teaspoon dried thyme
1/8 teaspoon fresh sage, or a pinch of dried sage
1/8 teaspoon fresh oregano, or a pinch of dried oregano
8 cups broth
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
1 bunch of dino kale or Swiss chard, stemmed and chopped into small bite‐size pieces
- In an 8-quart pot, heat the olive oil over medium-high heat. Add the onions and a pinch of salt. Sauté until golden.
- Add the carrots, celery, shallot, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Sauté for 3 minutes more.
- Add the garlic, thyme, sage and oregano and sauté 2 minutes more.
- Deglaze the pot with 1/4 cup of the broth. Allow the liquid to evaporate.
- Add 6 cups more broth, and the beans, and simmer for 20 minutes. Add more broth if necessary to achieve the desired consistency.
- Add the greens and a pinch of salt and simmer until the greens have wilted.
- Taste! You may need to add a squeeze of lemon juice or a final pinch of salt. Serve in soup bowls with a dollop of pesto and a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.
For a seasonal twist, add diced delicate or butternut squash to the carrot, celery, and onion mixture.